I have a confession to make, I AM FREAKED OUT BY RAW CHICKEN! I am even more freaked out when the chicken is whole. Please tell me that I’m not the only one with this fear? I decided with the help of Martha Stewart and a new sense of confidence that I would conquer my fear.
-1 Whole Organic Chicken (3-3.5 Pounds)
-Fresh Herbs (I used Oregano and Rosemary)
-Sea Salt & Pepper
-3 Tablespoons Butter
- The morning of remove the chicken from the refrigerator and dry with paper towels. Salt the entire chicken as well as inside the cavity.
- Place chicken on top of a parchment or wax lined baking sheet in the refrigerator for at least 6-8 hours (you can even do this the night before).
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator to pepper the entire chicken as well inside the cavity Place a pierced lemon inside the cavity along with fresh herbs.
- Rub softened butter evenly over the skin followed by more ground pepper.
- Tie the legs tightly with twine to ensure even cooking.
- On a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet (note: this prevents the liquid from spilling out when you remove from the oven), place sliced lemons and fresh herbs down, followed by the whole chicken on top. Let the bird sit for 30 minutes to get to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Roast the chicken for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue cooking for 25-35 minutes. Cook until a thermometer reads 160 degrees in the breast and the thigh.
- “Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes which will allow the temperature to rise and the juices to redistribute which creates tender meat.”-Martha Stewart Living
Adapted by: Martha Stewart Living Magazine