Summer time is my favorite time of year. The days are longer and the sun is out so much later. I love being at the pool or beach, reading a book/magazine and just relaxing! Summer is also the perfect time to host or attend BBQs. I actually find this time of year a lot easier to maintain on the FODMAP diet as foods are simply grilled and sides are more often gluten free. Salads, fruit, coleslaw and potato salad for example are common side dishes / fodmap snacks in the summer time that are often FODMAP friendly.
Need some recipe inspiration? Check out these Fit Fab FODMAP diet recipes for your next outdoor party:
Cookie & Kate’s delicious looking Potato Salad (omit celery and reduce green onion to make FODMAP safe)
Here are a few of my strategies in attending a summer time party and not sticking out like a sore thumb while still remaining on the FODMAP diet:
- If you’re comfortable enough with the host, ask ahead of time if one of the proteins like chicken or a burger can be prepared without garlic and onion.
- If this isn’t an option, pack your own grilled protein.
- I have found that no one minds as the hosts want to make sure you can enjoy and eat with everyone else.
- Offer to bring a side dish (or two).
- Not only will you impress the host by your shear kindness but you can also be confident in at least one safe dish.
- Stick to water or FODMAP safe alcohol.
- Juices and mixed drinks are usually full of sweeteners that cause bloating and upset stomach. No one wants that especially in a bathing suit!
- Eat lightly throughout the day.
- This is key as an overly full stomach can be extremely uncomfortable in the heat. Plus who wants to feel that way when they are in the water. Not me!
- Bring FODMAP safe snacks.
- No matter what I always bring FODMAP safe snacks. You never know what food will be available or if you will get hungry later on.
Now go have fun and enjoy your summer!